6.24.2008

vignettes

Garage

Last weekend, we had a garage sale. If ever we do this again, I'm helping to gather and organize, then I'm leaving town. I hate it. I felt like the Narrator in Fight Club who had a fridge full of condiments and no food. Where did we find some of this crap?

Even more annoying than our own materialism were the people who came. On something marked $1, they would ask if they could have it for $.50. "Does it say that on it?" "No." "Then..." Seriously, people, it's 50 cents. 

The city tore down our neon signs the morning of the garage sale. You can only advertise for a garage sale in your own yard. I live on a dead end street. 

Dog

We saw a pit bull running around the street during our garage sale. The poor thing was emaciated, ribs and hips jutting at painful angles and nearly ripping through his dirty skin. We knew he belonged to someone on an adjacent street, but my neighbor and I fed the dog and took him to the animal shelter. When 3 boys came asking M and our other neighbor about him, they said nothing. Were we wrong? An unlicensed, malnourished dog who flinched when we first touched him deserves a better chance. Doesn't he? He was so sweet in the car ride to the shelter and just laid his giant head on my lap. It was a little frightening having a strange dog's head so near my face, a pit bull no less! I think we did the right thing.

Computer

I just bought a Macbook and am lost. It's so foreign to me. What's strange is that it's foreign not only to my mind but also to my body. I'm not accustomed to typing on the keyboard, and my hands and fingers are unsure of themselves. They falter over certain keys, wiggle around in the air searching for others, slowly learning a new way of living.

House

The house is emptying. We now have 2 chairs in the living room (one a loveseat, so 3 seats). Maxx is on edge. His nerves have been frayed ever since we got back from Missouri and started preparing for the garage sale. It's going to be tough to leave him.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Garage - Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. We happily pay whatever Wal-Mart asks because they're a faceless corporation, so there's no one to haggle with. Garage sales are different; people see a friendly face and no uniform and name tag and figure they can get down to the "real value" of things. Sucks about the signs.

Dog - Yeah, you did the right thing. I really hate when people don't take care of dogs and leave them behind on the street or in the woods when they aren't valuable anymore.

Computer - Heh. I'm not going to say "I told you so," since you'll get used to it. But, still, Macs...[shudder].

House - It'll be weird seeing the empty shell that was once your full and happy home soon. I also hate that you're having to leave Maxx behind. I guess Greece doesn't want cuteness in their country.

Anonymous said...

Hell yes you were right to turn in the dog, and I was lost when I bought my MacBook. I would never go back now. :)

d-wain said...

I'm feeling good about the dog, too. I may call to see if he's been picked up or adopted.

I love my Mac. So far my only complaint is that the Office 2008 for the Mac doesn't have the great interface that Office 2007 has. I'm trying to get a copy of Windows XP from school to install and run PC programs.

d-wain said...

I'm feeling good about the dog, too. I may call to see if he's been picked up or adopted.

I love my Mac. So far my only complaint is that the Office 2008 for the Mac doesn't have the great interface that Office 2007 has. I'm trying to get a copy of Windows XP from school to install and run PC programs.

Laura said...

Hooray for the dog-definitely the right thing to do. It bothers me to no end to see people get animals with no intention of taking care of them.